Why are men dying more than women from COVID-19?
Figure 3: ACE2 FUNCTION IN COVID-19
3. ACE2 is very important in switching off inflammation, reducing blood pressure, stabilizing heart electrical activities, lung injury and reducing blood clots. When coronavirus attached to ACE2, it is no longer available and hence angiotensin II which is opposite of ACE2 works unopposed and that leads to severe hypertension, blood clots and inflammation. So, most men with problems of obesity, hypertension, diabetes, heart problems, use of anabolic steroids for muscle building, autoimmune diseases and HIV are more likely to die from COVID-19 than women.
4. Estrogen, the primary female sex hormone, has been observed to play a protective role in SARS not only by activating immune response but also directly suppressing SARS-CoV replication. To note, estrogen inhibits the activity or expression of different components of the renin–angiotensin system. In particular, estrogen is able to upregulate the expression of ACE2.
This is the reason why men should be first in line for the coronavirus vaccine because:
- They are most likely to die from coronary virus than women
- The vaccine is effective in preventing death, more so than any other treatment.
- Ivermectin has no role in treatment of COVID-19 pneumonia.